Independence Day could quite possibly be my favorite holiday. Aside from the fireworks, carnivals, flag-flying, parades, face painting, sparklers, BBQ’s, and family get-togethers, there’s that feeling of pride that comes with celebrating our great Nation.
I thought it would be fun to package up some flag inspired cookies in individual packages for our annual 4th of July celebration in a fun and festive way. I love the results, so I thought you might too!
You will need: paper CD sleeves, full page label paper, and cookies! (I shared the recipe I used below, which I adapted from Rachel Cooks. They are buttery and delicious!)
Gather your empty paper CD sleeves and print the labels onto a full sheet of label paper using our printable cookie labels or you can design your own. You will want to size them to a 3.75 inch circle from side-to-side and top-to-bottom. I also created a small “made in America” sticker to seal the back of the package.
Next, Cut around the circles and place the large label over the the cd cover opening. You should still be able to see a little portion of the cellophane window. I used pinking shears for my smaller made in America stickers for added cuteness.
Bake or purchase cookies. For my cookies, I bought 2 bags of the mini m&m’s and picked out all the red and blue ones for my cookies, however any cookie will do. I also couldn’t find my large cookie scoop, so my cookies were a little smaller than I wanted. If I made them again, I would make a larger cookie to show through the window of the cd cover.
Put the cookies into the CD sleeves and seal the back
Take them to your festivities and watch them disappear! Proud to be an American, land of the free …. to eat cookies!
Independence Day Cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups red and blue mini M&M's.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cornstarch together in a large bowl until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl/mixer blend together sugars and butter until creamy.
- Add the egg and blend another minute or two.
- Add the vanilla and almond extract.
- Slowly add the flour mixture 1/4 cup at a time until mixed well.
- Stir in M&M candies by hand.
- Chill dough for 20 mins
- Spoon into large balls (about 2 T.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes (Edges should be slightly golden)