There are a few things I’ve experienced in life that I can honestly describe as heavenly: holding my newborn for the first time, the first sight of spring flowers after a freezing winter, and of course….. the smell of banana bread baking!
This recipe produces deliciously moist banana bread loaves with an extra pop of rich banana flavor!
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Peel and add the ripened bananas into the sugar mixture and mix for 30 seconds on medium speed. I save over-ripe bananas in the freezer for baking day. TIP: If you pull them from the freezer, be sure to allow enough time for them to defrost beforehand.
Now add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and the secret ingredient– a shot of 99 Bananas liquor!
The 99 Bananas adds a burst of banana flavor and smells ah-may-zing! You can find it anywhere that alcohol can be purchased. This liquor also adds a banana-licious zing to homemade pina coladas or rum with fruit juice. If you don’t consume alcohol, don’t worry – the alcohol in this recipe cooks away while baking in the same way flavor extracts do and won’t affect you.
Now add the dry ingredients into a separate bowl.
And sift them together.
Sifting dry ingredients like sugar and flour into baked goods is worth the trouble. It not only combines them evenly, it also incorporates more air, so your finished product bakes up lighter and fluffier.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and mix just until combined. Don’t over mix!
Now for my favorite part: the nuts! You can use walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts. You can even omit them altogether if you like; but to me: nothing says delicious like nuts in banana bread! Hand stir them in to avoid over mixing.
Pour your batter into well greased bread pans. I used 4 mini loaf pans but you can also use a 9×5″ standard loaf pan. Fill your pans 3/4 full with the batter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes if using mini loaf pans. If using a standard 9×5″ pan, you’ll need to bake a little longer: 55-60 minutes.
You’ll know it’s done when it’s dark golden brown and dry to the touch. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center of the bread.
Storage Tip: Wrap the bread tightly in plastic wrap and store at room temperature overnight or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Now cut yourself a slice, slather it with homemade butter, pour an ice cold glass of milk, and enjoy!
Oh my Banana Bread Recipe!
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 2-3 very ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 oz. 99 bananas liquor optional
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 3/4 c walnuts or pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an electric mixer beat together sugars and butter until creamy.
- Add bananas and mix until combined (about 30 seconds).
- Add slightly beaten eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix until combined (about 30 seconds).
- In a bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Sift ingredients together and add to wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Stir in nuts by hand and pour into a well greased 9x5 bread pan or 4 mini loaf pans.
- For 9x5 loaf pan bake 55-60 mins.
- For 4 mini loaf pans bake for 40-45 minutes.
- The loaf/loaves should be dark golden brown and dry to the touch. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the center.