This is the same recipe that mom used when I was growing up. As a kid, I could eat dozens! After you try these fluffy pancakes, it’ll be impossible to go back to a pre-made mix. This simple recipe is made up of seven basic pantry essentials. And added fruit is always welcome!
My girls have a blast with these. We divide the batter evenly between 3 squirt bottles and add a few drops of food coloring to each bottle, then shake until the color is blended. Squirting directly onto the griddle they draw small flowers, write their names and even create tye dyed pancakes by combining colors, then using a tooth pick to swirl them together.
A couple of important points to consider: Supervise children carefully with the hot griddle, and whatever you do, make sure your lids are on securely – just ask Jaydin how she knows this.
The doodling was fun – but whether they come off the griddle as cute little flowers, carefully looped letters or as a big pink blob – they disappear in a flash. At our house, you just can’t beat a pancake breakfast! Mmmmm.
Doodle Cakes Pancake Recipe
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Spray your griddle with a little bit of olive oil spray.
- Pour or squirt each pancake onto the griddle and cook until a light golden brown on each side.
- Note: If using a squirt bottle you may need to add a little bit of extra milk to make the consistency thin enough to come out of the bottles.