Our hummus blog post was such a hit, how could I not tell you about another one of my favorite Lebanese dishes? Tabouli or Tabbouleh – there are more spelling variations for this salad than I can count – salad is a yummy and refreshing wheat salad that will impress you! It’s not the prettiest dish to photograph but I promise, your taste buds won’t care.
Chop your tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, mint, parsley and garlic and add them to your wheat. Parsley is your wild card. Add as much or as little as you like. My Mom adds a full cup of fresh chopped parsley, but we like just a sprinkling. Optionally, a finely chopped fresh spearmint leaf or two adds some zing. Mix all together, then add your olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
Serve inside of a pita or a romaine lettuce leaf. Healthy, fresh and delicious! Hope your family enjoys it as much as ours. ♥
- 2 cups Bulgar wheat
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 3 to 4 green onions
- 1 english cucumber
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- a sprinkling to a full cup of parsley
- a few mint leaves optional
- Place Bulgar wheat into a large bowl and just barely cover it with hot water.
- Set aside or place in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Chop your tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, parsley, mint and garlic. After wheat has doubled in size and soaked up the water, place veggies in the bowl with the wheat.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir.
- Chill for about 1 hour in the refrigerator.