I wish I could count how many times I’ve made stuffed peppers in my lifetime. It’s been a good number. They’ve always been a favorite, and the recipe has changed through the years. In the interest of lower fat cooking, we’ve traded our hamburger for ground turkey and to decrease sodium and increase fiber, we’ve substituted brown rice and spices for boxed rice mixes.
Confetti Stuffed Peppers
- 4 fresh bell peppers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 medium tomatoes coarsely chopped
- tops of peppers diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Brown turkey.
- Add cooked rice, chopped vegetables and spices.
- Simmer until liquid from the vegetables is cooked away.
- Spoon into pepper shells and put into a steamer.
- Add 1 inch of water to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring water to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until peppers are just tender.