There is nothing quite as nostalgic for me as handmade meatballs crowning a bed of spaghetti. The smell of fresh Italian aromas bring back some of the best memories of my childhood. I inhale and remember my Parents and all 7 of us kids gathered around the picnic table in our kitchen, eating spaghetti and meatballs, laughing, sharing, building friendships and memories I never knew I would cherish so much in my adult life. Try these deliciously succulent gluten-free meatballs – there’s nothing like simple, delicious Italian cuisine for creating memorable meals for your family or friends.
Start by combining salt, paprika, oregano, marjoram, thyme, and pepper together.
Now toss spices into a blender with 1 cup of certified gluten free oats and blend together into a flour-like consistency.
Chop 1 large shallot, 4 cloves garlic, and a handful of fresh basil leaves.
Add 2 pounds hamburger and 1 pound ground sausage into a large mixing bowl.
Now add in the chopped shallot, basil, and garlic with 1 egg, and the spiced oat flour mixture.
Combine with hands and roll into 3 inch meatballs. You should end up with 24 large meatballs.
Heat 2 cups of olive oil (about 1 inch deep) in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add meatballs in batches and brown 1-2 minutes on each side.
Remove from heat and place onto a paper towel lined plate.
When all meatballs are done browning, place into an oven safe pot with lid and bake for 2 hours at 250 degrees.
Pour in sauce and heat on stove over medium heat until sauce is hot. I like to saute onion, red bell peppers, and mushrooms and add them into the sauce as well.
For a truly gluten free meal serve over spaghetti squash, rice noodles or simply eat with veggies!
- 1 T salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp marjoram
- ½ tsp ground thyme
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 c certified gluten free oats
- 1 large shallot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 7-10 fresh basil leaves
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 egg
- 2 cups olive oil
- 6 cups tomato sauce
- Combine salt, paprika, oregano, marjoram, thyme, and pepper into a blender with 1 cup certified gluten free oats and blend into a flour-like consistency.
- Chop shallot, garlic, and fresh basil.
- Add 2 pounds hamburger and 1 pound ground sausage into a large mixing bowl.
- Add oat mix and chopped ingredients to bowl
- Add 1 egg
- Using hands, mix all ingredients together until combined
- Roll mixture into 3-4 inch balls
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet
- Brown meatballs 1-2 minutes on each side
- Remove from oil and place into a covered baking dish
- Bake meatballs for 2 hours at 225 degrees
- Remove from oven and add sauce (I also add sauted onion, red pepper, and mushrooms to my pasta sauce)
- Serve over al dente gluten free pasta of your choice
- Makes 24 Large meatballs