Great Grandma Bonnie was the spunkiest old lady I’ve ever met! Even in her old age, she never got grumpy and she was constantly smiling and joking – I loved her smile! She’s been gone awhile now, but I can still hear her, plain as day, poking me in the ribs as we shared a laugh and exclaiming, “I’m telling you, kid!”, one of her favorite sayings from her youth.
Grandma always wanted to feed everyone who came to her house. Her freezer pickles were one of my favorite snacks and are such a quick and easy recipe to throw together. The work is in the peeling and slicing of the cucumbers, but after that it’s a breeze. You just combine all the ingredients and place them in the refrigerator for 24 hours before placing them in small freezer containers to be removed from the freezer one at a time as you use them. You may notice that I left out the green bell peppers. They’ve never been a favorite of mine.
Oh and Grandma Bonnie would definitely want me to tell you that not only was she my Great Grandmother, she was also a Great-GREAT Grandmother to my kids and goodness was she ever proud of that. I can hear her now: “I’m a Great GREAT!!!!!” We sure miss that spunky lady!
- 7 cups pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups white sugar (this is an old fashioned recipe when sugar wasn't thought of as being as bad for you as it is today. Feel free to use less sugar!)
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- Peel pickling cucumbers.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, celery seed and kosher salt.
- If your sugar isn't dissolving well into the liquid, heat up in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds until your sugar is no longer gritty in the liquid.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and place into the refrigerator for 24 hours before placing in a freezer container and freezing.
- Remove from freezer and let thaw as needed.