We’ve learned that quiet time here in Greece extends from 2:00 until 5:00 p.m. The afternoon nap time is protected by law in the city of Athens. If you make noise that disturbs your neighbors, you could be given a stiff fine! After 5:00 is coffee time – and Greek citizens gather at outdoor taverna’s for coffee and conversation. Dinner is still hours away, because like many europeans, they eat quite late. This time of year the weather is getting a spring-like appeal. We’re enjoying warm sunshine with cool breezes off the ocean, which makes for a lovely time to sit outdoors at the various tavernas and enjoy an afternoon frappe’. If you’d like to experience this popular pick-me-up, shaking up a frappe’ in your own kitchen is super easy. Printable recipe below.
Put instant coffee and about a half cup of water into your jar. Screw the lid on tightly and shake until it becomes foamy. Pour into a tall glass and stir in milk and sugar. Add ice and cold water to top of glass.
Sit in the warm sunshine and enjoy. To your health, Crafty Friends! clink
- A large mason jar for shaking
- 1-2 tsp instant coffee (Nescafe’ is the popular brand here), depending on strength desired. they make them strong here!)
- ⅛ cup milk
- cold water
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- Put instant coffee and about a half cup of water into your jar.
- Screw the lid on tightly and shake until it becomes foamy.
- Pour into a tall glass and stir in milk and sugar, if desired.
- Add ice and cold water to top of glass.